Oral Traditions Engl 337

Online Journal for Engl 337.

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Triple Play

Three thoughts for the day.

First, I doubt I will ever forget a few of the phrases I memorized from the oral poem. I figure in thirty years "capital counts of wood" will come to mind and I will have to idea what it means, but I will rememer it.

Second, orality and the Sipmsons.
I watched an episod of the Simpsons today in which part wants to go to a rap concert. He tells his mom that rap is "the music of the streets." He later engages a rapper on stage in flyting. It was interesting to apply Oral Traditions to the show.

Third, orality, time, and Tarantino.
The fact that oral stories would not necessarily follow a strict chronological order is still seen today in some secondary orailty, namely Pulp Fiction. For anyone who hasn't seen the movie (shame on you) the story follows no strict time line. Things will jump around time wise. The first scene is the same as the last. Unlike most oral stories, however, Tarantino had the lack of linearity planned out. He did not simply insert what was missed earlier into a later portion of the show. Rather, each piece builds off of a previous one in terms of dialogue or character development. Pulp Fiction is what oral stories would be with a script.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home