Oral Traditions Engl 337

Online Journal for Engl 337.

Friday, January 28, 2005

What we take for granted

I find it slight ironic that I am writing about what I take for granted within a literary world.

Anyway, one of the most obvious things is apparent as a sit at my desk. Directly in front of me is about a dozen books, and a couple hundred more lie on either side of me. While I am working I will often randomly stop and gra a book from the shelf to either read a little and relax or to look something up. This overabundance of, not just information, but also tales and worlds not our own is probably the one thing I most take for granted within our culture. The ability to have the lore of not only the Greeks but also the Norse and the Finnish and a thousand others within grasp is beyond comprehension to a non-literate society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home